Blog Archive

Friday, April 18, 2008

Thank You Holy Father!

You know by having a healthy dose of pessimism, you protect yourself from being disappointed. And I have to tell you, that I was not expecting much to result from Pope Benedict’s visit to our country. I felt that the Pope would visit this divided nation and not address the sweeping tide of religious intolerance in America. I expressed my hope that he would do this during his visit on this site yesterday. Well my friends I was wrong because he did that a yesterday and more in a very understated way

In an evening meeting with leaders from various faith traditions at The Pope John Paul II Cultural Center in Washington, DC, he said, “Protecting religious freedom within the rule of law does not guarantee that peoples -- particularly minorities -- will be spared from unjust forms of discrimination and prejudice. This requires constant effort on the part of all members of society to ensure that citizens are afforded the opportunity to worship peaceably and to pass on their religious heritage to their children." He also said, “In their attempt to discover commonalities, religious leaders have shied away from the responsibility to discuss our differences with calmness and clarity."

I like what this scholarly and understated man did during his visit to Washington. Yes he has made some mistakes and made some controversial statements. But, he basically said what this divided nation needed to hear, which is what I have said in so many past columns on this site, and that is, “we have to build upon our common values and use them as a cornerstone for peace.” You go Pope!

No comments:


I am very proud of the this sign in The Old Spanish Quarter in St. Augustine, Florida, because it marks the site of a house owned in the 1760's by a Minorcan settler, Franciso Triay, who was related to my mother. How fitting it was that I would see this sign on December 1, which was the day after my mother's funeral. Life has a way of reminding you of who you are.

Me Accepting Humanitarian Award at Lincoln Center on November 10th
The Punjabi Literary and Cultural Society presented me with a humanitarian award Saturday, November 10th at Lincoln Center in New York. Also receiving awards were United Nations Church Center Chaplain, Reverend Kathleen Stone and Matt Weiner, Program Director of The Interfaith Center in New York. The awards were presented on a program that was full of Sikh, Hindu and Sufi music, dancing and literature. I was proud to be presented with an award on this program because, I believe that most communities around the globe want to be free to express their faith and cultural traditions without fear, harm and judgment. This is what my weekly column and work involving The New Seminary at the Untied Nations is about.
____________________________