Blog Archive

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Is America's preoccupation with race ending?

Now that Obama has clinched the nomination. I want you to know there is one thing that really bothers me about the reporting and general discussion around the race between Clinton and Obama. It’s how race continues to be injected in this election. All you hear and read about is how the hard working White voters are overwhelmingly supported Clinton and the African American voters for Obama. But there is little talk about Whites who vote for Obama and African Americans who vote for Hilary. Isn’t that a topic worthy of discussion? I certainly think it is.

I will tell you why it’s not, however. We are preoccupied with race in this country. The media likes to talk about our racially divided country. They think it’s what we want to hear and see. And, they are right, because no one seems to complain. The politicians use it as a wedge issue to keep them in power.

I think there is a fantastic story surrounding this Democratic Primary where an African American is the nominee. I also think it’s a big story that both Hilary and Obama, no matter how much or little, got votes from all types of voters Black, White, Latino, old, young, etc.

Look at the facts. Hilary got a fair share of the African American vote in New York and Ohio. There are many African American leaders supporting her. Obama has won states like Oregon, Idaho and Montana. Oh and let’s not forget Iowa, the state that put him on the way to securing the nomination. These states barely have any African Americans at all. Hey! This is good news people. Let’s talk about it. It shows that America is growing and evolving beyond centuries of being preoccupied with race.

To the media, politicians and all the others who operate from a fear-based paradigm, I say stop it. And, please take note that America is really evolving on the issue of race. Based on this election, there is strong and compelling evidence that racial attitudes are changing for the better. Regardless of the scope and size of the change, it’s progress. So stop stoking the racial fires that have divided this nation for so long and support the change that is occurring before our eyes. This nation is healing. Why not embrace and nurture it?

Look an African American Male named Barac Obama just clinched the Demcratic Nomination! I think America is the big winner.

Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jay I heartedly agree with everything you said about Obama and Hillary. One thing I haven't seen in print is the fact that Obama is one-half white. I think if it was stated more that he is white and black - wouldn't that unite so many people who are on the fence still about race?

Being a white grandmother, who is very happy about Obama winning, I often wonder what is white grandmother is thinking that her side of family in his life is not really acknowledged.

It really doesn't matter - just a small point but I think it would unite some people to him easier.
Blessings to you and yours,
Rev Karen Herrick, PhD
keherrick@aol.com


I am very proud of the this sign in The Old Spanish Quarter in St. Augustine, Florida, because it marks the site of a house owned in the 1760's by a Minorcan settler, Franciso Triay, who was related to my mother. How fitting it was that I would see this sign on December 1, which was the day after my mother's funeral. Life has a way of reminding you of who you are.

Me Accepting Humanitarian Award at Lincoln Center on November 10th
The Punjabi Literary and Cultural Society presented me with a humanitarian award Saturday, November 10th at Lincoln Center in New York. Also receiving awards were United Nations Church Center Chaplain, Reverend Kathleen Stone and Matt Weiner, Program Director of The Interfaith Center in New York. The awards were presented on a program that was full of Sikh, Hindu and Sufi music, dancing and literature. I was proud to be presented with an award on this program because, I believe that most communities around the globe want to be free to express their faith and cultural traditions without fear, harm and judgment. This is what my weekly column and work involving The New Seminary at the Untied Nations is about.
____________________________